Thursday 3 October 2013

October 3 - St. Therese of the Child Jesus


The following is an excerpt from one of St. Therese's letters to her sister Celine.

~~~~
 
...I must forget this world. Here everything wearies me–I find only one joy, that of suffering, and this joy, which is not one of sense, is above all joy. Life is passing, and eternity isdrawing near. Soon we shall live the very life of God. After we have been filled at the source of all bitterness, our thirst will be quenched at the very Fountain of all sweetness.

“The figure of this world passeth away"–soon we shall see new skies–a more radiant sun will light with its splendour crystal seas and infinite horizons. We shall no longer be prisoners in a land of exile, all will have passed away, and with our Heavenly Spouse we shall sail upon boundless seas. Now, "our harps are hanging on the willows which grow by the rivers of Babylon,” but in the day of our deliverance what harmonies will they not give forth how joyfully shall we make all their strings vibrate! Now, “we shed tears as we remember Sion, for how can we sing the songs of the Lord in a land of exile?” The burden of our song is suffering. Jesus offers us a chalice of great bitterness. Let us not withdraw our lips from it, but suffer in peace. He says peace does say joy, or at least sensible joy: to suffer in peace it is enough to will heartily all that Our Lord wills. Do not think we can find love without suffering, for our nature remains and must be taken into account; but it puts great treasures within our reach. Suffering is indeed our very livelihood, and is so precious that Jesus came down upon earth on purpose to possess it. We should like to suffer generously and nobly; we should like never to fall. What an illusion! What does it matter to me if I fall at every moment! In that way I realise my weakness,and I gain thereby. My God, Thou seest how little I am good for, when Thou dost carry me in Thy Arms; and if Thou leavest me alone, well, it is because it pleases Thee to see me lie on the ground. Then why should I be troubled?

If you are willing to bear in peace the trial of not being pleased with yourself, you will be offering the Divine Master a home in your heart. It is true that you will suffer, because you will be like a stranger to your own house; but do not be afraid–the poorer you are, the more Jesus will love you. I know that He is better pleased to see you stumbling in the night upon a stony road, than walking in full light of day upon a path carpeted with flowers, because these flowers might hinder your advance.

1 comment:

  1. How beautiful!

    Incidentally, it's nice to finally see someone else celebrating her feast on its traditional day - everyone else I know celebrated it on the first.

    May she give all of us her beautiful spirit of love and resignation to the Will of God!

    ReplyDelete